Friday, July 14, 2006

A Date.

The time had finally come again for a four day weekend in Thailand (our last one was a month ago...) I was so tired by the time last Friday rolled around that I was ready to crawl into bed and sleep until Wednesday. However, as things worked out, I was still working on Saturday and Sunday, with time to sleep on Monday and Tuesday.

When Sunday came around, I realized Rin and I hadn't been anywhere together, in a 'date-like' setting for a long time now. So we made an afternoon of it.

When he finished school and I finished teaching we met up an decided to go shopping, and ended up going to see Superman Returns which is about eight hours long, and possibly the most expensive nap Rin and I have ever taken. It was misery waiting for the end, and waiting for some noise in the movie so we could try to keep ourselves awake by eating pringles. After four days, it finally finished and we ran out of the cinema, feeling like we had accomplished something.

We then moved on to a seedy (but not that kind of seedy....) massage place near my school and parked in for a two hour massage. This is near a spa we used to go to, but it is about half the price. To the naked eye it looks like a nasty Chinese massage parlor, with the girls sitting in a fishbowl in the middle wearing numbers, waiting for someone to come and pick them, much like in your run of the mill brothel here in Bangkok. However, I asked many times, and was assured by my friend who tried, and found out, there is no "extra." We have been here quite a few times before, for a good, cheap, comfortable massage, with the scent of menthol and starched sheets in the air. However, on Sunday, Rin's old woman came in about 20 minutes late, finished about 20 minutes early, and had a screaming match with her daughter on the phone who was begging for money for her boyfriend. After her angry screaming match, she kneaded her fingers so hard into Rin's back, and I have been trying to undo the horrid things she did last week. And on top of it all, at the end of the massage, as we were about to give her and my lady a 80 baht tip (yes, a skimpy tip, though 50%...but they were terrible!) And she insisted we give her a 100 baht tip. I left so angry, it really ruined my day. My first date with my boyfriend in a long time, and she goes making me think about all the things that piss me off about this country.

After our massage we went down to the (stinky) river and sat watching people fish off the bridge until we found our appetites and went to a "moo grata" (like a bbq buffet, Korean type place) and for 79 baht stuffed ourselves with all the sesame chicken, cumin pork and salmon bbqed by yours truly.

So after a solid afternoon of quality time relaxing, eating and sleeping in a movie theatre, it was nice to remember what life is like without responsibility.

Back at school for the long-haul, no more holidays for a long time now. But I am counting down the days until I head home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Walter Guest said...

What an interesting, fun story.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home