Friday, June 09, 2006

Thailand Welcomes His Majesty the King

Today was the beginning of the five day celebration of the 60 year anniversary to the King's Accession to the Throne (I know, it should be ascension, but this is the word Thais chose to use.)
Yesterday was "Wai Krou" day at school, where the students brought flowers and traditional items like incense and candles to give the teachers while they crawl by on their hands and knees and wai us, thanking us for being their teachers. By the end of the day, accepting flowers, trying to handle the organization of 100 plus three to five year olds and fighting off this nasty cold that is going around, I was ready to sleep for the next five days.
Last night one of Rin's teachers called us and asked if we wanted to go to see the King in one of his first very public appearances in a long time. I thought, 'no.' I had every intention to sleep in my bed, cozy under the blankets, air on full, sipping coffee and thinking about how happy I was that I wasn't out with all the crowds. However, at some point last night I went officially insane, and I decided it would be a good idea to wake up at 4 in the morning, put on a yellow shirt, and take a taxi down to the grounds that would welcome the King in a ceremony to begin at 11.00 or so. That, my friends, was a crucial mistake. Leaving my bed behind, bitching and swearing and sneezing about having to wake up so early, fighting to get a taxi and dealing with a bit of traffic at, yes...Four thirty in the morning.
When we arrived, I thought everything was quite beautiful. There were lights that had been strung on all the trees lining the streets in a particularly beautiful old part of the city. It was still a little dark, and the lights with the rising sun managed to help me snap out of it for a bit and enjoy the excitement.
But that didn't last for too long. After about three hours, being pushed through the crowds and trying to stay with the group of students Rin went with, I was ready to call it quits. Perfectly easy to find your friends you see....Take hundreds of thousands of people with dark skin and black hair, put them in the same yellow shirt and black bottoms, give them a Thai flag to wave for your attention, and you are bound to find them in no time.
About the hundredth time I got lots I told Rin to go on without me, and I would take a taxi home and go back to Plan A, in my bed, air pumping, sipping coffee under the covers (still wearing my yellow shirt, mind you.)
And watching it on television was quite beautiful. Thais have a way with ceremonies that just about make you want to cry, complete with candle lighting and waiing of Buddha, people generally showing love for one another. It was nice to see after the madness I had seen only a couple of hours earlier, pushing for a shady part of the street. When the King arrived, it was amazing to see the crowds in the sea of yellow, wiping their eyes and holding their breath- the love they have for their King is amazing.
Being as this is Thailand, it is raining, meaning photos aren't uploading properly. I will upload them as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay...
I will be sure to add more photos and comments as the days progress. It is a peaceful time in Thailand, a calm time. A family time. A regal time. I will soak it in before the real world gets in the way starting next Wednesday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should pat yourself on the back for even trying to go down there. the ever-practical me was wondering, what do the people smack dab in the middle of the throngs do when they feel nature calling? the dudes probably peed into empty water bottles, but the women...?

i had to take my younger boy into the doctor that day, as he'd developed a nasty cough the night before. all the nurses in the pediatric ward, wearing their yellow shirts, were clumped around the TV to watch the procession. we joined them while we waited for the doc and i got to feel a mini-version of the camaraderie and patriotism felt by the crowds down there. several of the nurses grew slightly weepy; two of them broke out into serious goosebumps and shivers as the King appeared.

we're really lucky to live here during this momentous time.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home