Tuesday, June 06, 2006

celebration!

Our new roommate, Rin and I have decided to have a big bash next weekend inviting basically everyone we know, to have a big BBQ. It has been difficult to get things sorted out, as we had to get a BBQ made (out of a big old oil can...it's actually pretty nice!), set the date, organize things, and of course, not without our disagreements.

It started out as a murder mystery, which I recall having at my 10th birthday, so I said 'no, PLEASE no...' and he agreed (the roommate.) He then wanted to kick people out early as I have to work in the morning. I am really uncomfortable with kicking people out, so I said no, and he simply added an 'ending time' to the invitation.

He then decided he wanted to make a huge menu of exotic foods and then charge our guests, which is extremely uncomfortable for me. Growing up, my parents had their fair share of parties, and I do not remember even one time having them charge their guests. After long winded discussions, I lost, and the foreign guests will pay 200 baht per person (about 5 bucks) and as I refuse to force Rin's friends to pay for food that they won't even eat, as we're making Thai food as well, and 200 baht a chunck on change for some. So, we met halfway, but I still feel bad making teachers with new babies (three people) pay, when we are the ones who wanted to have the party in the first place. But I will never understand these things...perhaps English people don't mind asking like this? I am...well...embarassed, even though only one person has complained.

To add to the hell, I am working every day this week until 8pm to make up for missed classes for the King's celebrations next week.

The final touch came a few minutes ago...
While having lunch at our regular joint outside the gate, Rin called me and said 'good news! My mum can come!' Wait, wait, wait...where is the good news? She is coming up from the south on Thursday and staying for three or four days (which means two weeks in Thai time) and we no longer have a spare room. To add to the hell, she is a woman who doesn't particularly like to talk, making normally uncomfortable silences drag into hour long staring contests and talking about things like the colour of grass and the smell of different brands of deoderant. One final touch, she, like most country women in Thailand chew on betelnut, which is supposed to give some sort of high, mixed with tobacco, and this red paste mashed into a leaf and chewed on for hours, making red saliva that is to be spat all around the perimeter of the house. She will more than likely be sleeping in our bedroom on the floor, (with the dog, might I add...) or in the livingroom where my students and their stuffy parents can trip over her in the morning as they come to learn English at my house.

I see a disaster in the making. Let's hope for rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home