Monday, October 02, 2006

And I have finally arrived! I am back on this side of the pond, and I have a few quick observations.

My blood temperature has obviously dropped, as I spend most of the day shivering and chattering my teeth. My father refuses to turn on the heat, meanwhile I am going into hypothermic shock.

I am allergic to milk, and all milk products, making the food aspect of coming home quite unimpressive. I drink milk, feel sick. Eat cheese, feel sick. Chocolate, feel sick. Sour cream on baked potatoes, yup...Sick. My mother bought me soy milk, but I can't seem to find any soy brownies hanging around. That will be my mission for today. Curse the Thai diet for not having any milk in it. I am so disappointed by this.



The United States of America is the most expensive country I have ever encountered in my life. Even though there are huge sales making some things like English books and underwear cheaper here, I cannot get over the fact that I was asked to pay $5.12 for a grande latte at JFK airport on Saturday. I almost got on the next plane to Thailand. On my way to work in Thailand, I can buy a 'bag' of coffee (they pour it into a bag instead of a cup) for 10 baht. Yup, less than a quarter. The prices of things aren't sitting well with me.

Aside from the culture shock, life is good. I am so happy to see my family and sleep with duvets and be able to drive (well, I am thinking about driving today...) and understanding the language, and generally get things a lot more. And there are driers! My clothes smell so good! But I am still missing Thailand, with all its flaws. And am certainly missing Rin. I have been home a little over 48 hours and I think we have talked about 8 times already. Going to be an expensive phone bill!

My little brother is skipping school and taking me to go shopping today for things like underwear and bras, like every little brother wants to do.

Will check in soon....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home