Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hiccup in travel plans


And so with my departure date quickly approaching I am getting things in order, making lists of things I have to do, taking time off work to get my visa and work permit planned out. Everything seems so smooth sailing. Until this happened:

"The new Suvarnabhumi Airport, which is due to replace the overloaded and unexpandable Bangkok International Airport (Don Muang), was scheduled to open in June 2006. However, this date has been delayed until 28th September 2006 for testing and validation by ICAO.
The airport was due to open in late 2005, but a series of budget overruns, construction flaws, political interference and allegations of corruption have caused problems for the project."

Fine. Great, the new airport should be lovely! Nice new air conditioning, fresh paint and lovely new things to explore. One thing. Check the opening date September 28th, 2006. Check my date of departure? September 29th. So where the hell do I fly from? The way things go in Thailand, I will call Thai Airways, they will tell me I will be flying from the old airport, and then when I arrive my scheduled three hours before the flight, I will be told to go to the other airport, quite a distance away, on a Friday, the last day of the semester, where the traffic will be even more trouble than normal. (What is the superlative of 'jammed'? 'more jammed'? 'the jammedest'?) And if I was told to go to the new airport, I will certainly be redirected upon arrival to the old airport. And I am sure when I finally find the correct airport, my hand luggage containing all the things I am too worried about to check will be confiscated because it's not in a clear plastic bag.

So for now, I will sit and wait. And worry. Sounds like fun!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember how Bush parachuted down onto the aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf with a "Mission Accomplished" banner hanging behind him for the photo op? In 2003? And look where we are now.

That's what I thought of when Thaksin insisted on "opening" Suvarnabhumi in September 2005. It's like, c'mon, you needn't worry about your trip, because the new airport's already open. It's been open for nearly a year. Not!

Good luck. Everyone flying around then will need it.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home