Friday, August 25, 2006

Just Another Day in Paradise...

Rin called me around lunch yesterday to tell me he wouldn't be coming to school to have lunch with me on my break, because he couldn't get through the traffic. I told him there is always traffic, and he said, 'yah, but there isn't always a bomb.'

Fun, fun, fun. The odd thing is, this car is located exactly at the mid-way point between our house (dangerously close to "Advisor to Thailand's' Thaksin, and my school. At the exact intersection I sit at every morning waiting for the light to turn green, and right in front of the restaurant Rin and I go to at least once week, and were at two nights ago. So, you can see, things can hit quite close to home.

The whole story is not yet determined, but basically it was possibly a plot to do away with Thaksin, while hurting a bunch of other people.

According to the Bangkok Post, '"If detonated, things within a kilometre radius would have been damaged by the explosion. Anything within 30-40 metres would be blown into dust. No one would survive and the Bang Phlat flyover would evaporate," said city police chief Wiroj Chantharangsi.'

Well, really, they know a lot more than me. Let's have them explain things:

"The dismissal of a senior army officer after the arrest of a man in connection with the discovery of explosive materials in a car parked near the residence of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday kicked off a fierce debate.

Many observers found it hard to believe Mr Thaksin's contention that he had narrowly escaped an assassination attempt.

One reason for the skepticism is the connections of Gen Panlop Pinmanee, who Mr Thaksin quickly sacked as deputy director of the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc).

The general, from Class 7 of the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy, is known to be close to Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, a key leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, which is campaigning to oust Mr Thaksin." (for the complete story click here: http://http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/25Aug2006_news01.php)



And so, I wait with baited breath to take break from political threats an the utter dis-organization I face on a daily basis, to spend time at my parents house in the mountains in Vermont. If I make it to the right airport, that is.

Thirty-five days until I leave. Five weeks from today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home