Friday, February 16, 2007

twice in one week?

I can hardly believe it myself. I am a little tired of being sick, as there is nothing comforting about having a cold or feeling icky when there is nothing to do but sit around in 100 degree smog. There is no relaxing fresh air. There is hot smog and air conditioning. The best happy medium I can find is my bathroom after a hot shower, as the smog is gone but it seems refreshing. Anyway. I digress.

I spent the weekend last weekend feeling kind of icky and down and missing home (see last post). I have a hell of a lot of work to do right now, so I don't have time to be sick. I went to school on Monday, over the worst of it, (so I thought) and then. I went to lunch at the local hole in the wall (rats and bugs, free!) I have eaten here five times a week for two years. No problems. Yes, it's dirty. No, I don't always know what I am eating. Yes, they take the garnish from our dishes and reuse them. Yes, the nasty old grandma insists on squeezing my lime onto my fried rice for me. If only you could see her hands. But I think this is kind of a bonus. It keeps the germs alive and well inside me, so I am ready for anything Bangers hands my way. But. Monday, I order spring rolls. Lime iced tea. Normal. I ate, went back to school to keep on working, and within an hour, I was squirming around in my chair, rolling back and forth, knowing what was going to happen. I called Rin, got my classes covered and cried to whole way home. I won't go into later details. I was out of work until Wednesday.

Wednesday was fine, Rin made me a valentine's dinner and then last night I was working late. I ordered quail's eggs from the guy who sells fried crickets and silk worms. I order them three times a week. Never had a problem. I then went to tutor, where they fed me some dim sum...and then saw a student as I was walking to the end of the street, and he handed me a huge bag of little oranges. Normal food. Quite good food actually. I got home, had leftovers with Rin, and then spent the rest of the night hovering over the throne, wishing my life would simply end. I knew I had to go into work today, as I have a lot of work to get done. But I haven't eaten a thing, and when I went to the pharmacist, he said I have had food poisoning, twice. In one week. What are the chances?

The thing is, I take too many chances. I eat anything. There are no expiry dates, eggs aren't kept in the fridge, and I will eat food from the street vendors with the best of them. I used to be so careful, but then I went out on a limb and started eating anything. Fried grasshoppers with pepper? Sure. Bring it on. Good for you. Fish gut curry? Well, Rin eats it...I only make faces. Mysterious meat on a stick? Man, that stuff is good. Fruit sitting in the sun all day? Wash it, and it's fine, right? I have had no issues. If you are too careful here you don't get the germs into you, and you get sick a lot easier. But, it has come to bite me in the ass.

And now I sit, aching tummy, tired bones, still trying to get rid of whatever is slowly killing me from the inside.

Fun fun fun!

On a side note, only 2 weeks left until my holiday. I think I am going to go to Laos...get away for a bit. Also, I have my first ever official speech in Thai. Next Friday I am speaking at a parent meeting, and they asked me to speak in Thai too! Uh-oh...this should be interesting. Not exactly the same as talking to a taxi driver or swearing at the people selling veggies overpriced.

More to come soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Sounds horrid but I'm glad you're on the mend.

How did you go about learning Thai?



Peace,


~Chani

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home