Friday, February 09, 2007

February 8, 2007

I just got off the phone with my mother a while ago. My phone was on vibrate from my meeting this morning, and I forgot to turn the ringer on. She called five times, so when I called her back I knew something was wrong.

My grandfather, mother's father, or better known as "Pops," died last night (American time) which means about 9:00 this morning as I was teaching K3 math. He had an infection of some sorts, and well...he was going to be 88 this year.

Pops lived an amazing life. He was in the war. He was a doctor. He loved his wife. He loved his daughter (my mom) more than anyone in the world. In fact, he loved her so much that in his later years as the onset of dimensia come about, he called everyone he knows 'Jan.' Including his wife, myself, my friends, my brothers, etc.

Pops was the coolest grandfather I could have ever had. He used to take me fishing in Ontario, and I used to spend the weekend their condo about a half hour from my house, and he would let me watch tv and buy me ice cream and take me swimming and shopping, and let me be a free little girl. I used to look forward to fridays after dance class so I could go and see 'Pops and Bo.'

In his later years he suffered from congestive heart failure (about four or five years ago). I was going to school in Ontario so I drove up to see them a few times and take care of things. That was a hard time on both my mother and I who are quite similar. He made it through, but he was never quite the same after that. I can't really remember the last time I saw him. It was probably when I was in my last semester of university before coming to Thailand. He always used to sit on the bench outside his condo and wave as I drove off, with tears in his eyes. I have no doubt that he loved me for a solid 24 years. I loved him to bits.

It's all a little shocking, and is kind of difficult to be away from any family when something like this happens.

I hope my family is doing well. These things are expected when you get up close to 90 years of age. It doesn't make it much easier as I sit and think back about him, trying to type through tears.

Bo doesn't know yet. I don't think that she will understand. They have been living in the same retirement home in Quebec, but in seperate rooms. My parents are going to see her today. It must be hard on my mother. She is so strong.

Much love to the Macdonalds and Burtches. I miss you guys lots.

2 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Condolences to you. It's wonderful to have so many good family memories. :)



Peace,

~Chani

2:33 AM  
Blogger Maria Cristina said...

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home