Monday, October 31, 2005

Back.

And I made it. Barely.

I had a rough week, I have to admit. It should have been all rest and relaxation, but it was filled with an overload of the elements, emotions, and deep thinking about...'what am I doing here?'

I know I will never be accepted as part of Rin's family. I accept that. In the same way that as much as I know my family will accept him, we are from different lives, different stories that we will never fully mutually understand. I think that is part of the beauty of our relationship, how much we can teach each other.

But this trip brought on a whole new side to the drama of live "on the outside." I have described in the past the house, in the woods, not a whole lot going on. It is nice. It is peaceful. Until the sun goes away. At that point the creatures come out, and lights are too dim to brighten up the dark dark sky, and I never know what I am going to find.

A small selection of the episodes I survived:
-gecko falling from the ceiling onto my chest while sleeping. Rin said "don't worry, that's good luck."
-riding on the back of a motorbike, my hear out to the side to talk to Rin, a big bug I have only ever seen in cartoons buzzed its way into and under my eyelid. The wing remained lodged in there for a few hours. Fun.
-Wash clothes, hang them out, go out, come back, raining, have to wash again. Three times.
-Lack of edible food.
-Water a blackish color, so I quietly asked Rin to buy me some bottled water, and he said, "no, don't worry. It's only because of the rain. And the rain is clean, right?" Went thirsty for a week.
-Spiders in the toilet. Every time.
-Stomach troubles with a squatting toilet, no toilet paper and no squirty thing. Now I know why it is rude to touch people with your left hand in this country.
-His cousins insisting on jumping on our bed at no later than 5:30 am every morning.
-Bats flying very close to my face.

Not to mention Friday was my birthday, to which Rin didn't acknowledge until my mother called and I told her I was going to kick him in the head to remind him, to which he answered, "I told you last night. Besides, you're not a kid anymore." My birthday was spent in the car in the sweltering heat that even air conditioning couldn't help (why is the sun always on my side?). Arrived, went to work on Saturday and Sunday, and as Rin and I are moving into a new house, we took some stuff over last night, he was backing into where our gate opens, and what do I hear" *scrunch.* Followed by *loud engine noises.* Our muffler wrecked on the metal rain where our gate slides, and Rin fearing the wrath of me. A few thousand baht later, we shall continue to move this evening, and perhaps even go buy some wine to celebrate.

School opened today, I missed these kids so much. I am happy to be back into the swing of things, and have found myself with a promotion and a title: "Kindergarten Co-Ordinator." Which basically means I am in charge of all Kindergarten classes in TSEP, the English program (3). But it's a step!

That's all for now. Other exciting news, getting cable for my birthday. Finally I can watch reality television and trashy news again!

Hopefully no more episodes to report soon. Pictures to come once we have moved in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home