Monday, May 16, 2005

rambutans in bed (also known as: another exciting weekend in bangers)

Back in school, Monday morning, first day of the term, and all I can say is, HOLY SHIT, THERE ARE A LOT OF STUDENTS HERE! Of course, a week before the term began they decided to tear up the end of the soi here, which all of the 3,000 students have to pummel down in their Benzes each morning, making it one lane, and quite crowded. Quite the disaster getting to work, especially when we had to be here at 7am. Dressed up, ready to roll. Feels good to be back in the swing of things, though tired, indeed.

Spent the weekend not doing too much. Went to Pattaya on Friday with the other teachers, didn’t do much. We were meant to have bonding games on the beach. However, after a year on the beach in Phuket, I found a nice little patch of shade with some other teachers and drank water. A little relaxing, but a long drive with a nasty driver in a mini bus, I honestly would have preferred to work on lesson plans.

Friday night was spent at home watching the rain and sub-titled movies. Saturday after waking up at a leisurely hour, Rin decided to take me back on the boats. I had plans of my own and wanted to make it to Chinatown, so we sailed on over and explored the small sois and cheap prices…quite possibly the cheapest in Bangkok. I bought some red jade, 40 baht ($1.) Only to drop it on my tile floor and to watch it shatter the next morning…gives me an excuse to go back.

Saturday night was spent playing cards and eating rambutans in bed. Getting some rest before school opened. Which reminds me. I introduced a teacher at school here to ramubutans in Pattaya. He had never eaten them before. This fruit has got to be the most bizarre fruit in the world, but awesomely delicious. In Phuket during the rambutan season (a work almost impossible for the farang tongue to pronounce) I lived on these prickly sweet things. He couldn’t understand them, and who would have ever thought to crack one of these babies open? But for 20 baht (50 cents) for a bag full, I cannot say no.

Rambutan:

(file not being shown properly, will fix tomorrow)



Yesterday we slept in again, went to the market, cooked and watched movies, and had a couple of friends over at night. Not too much. Starting to feel like home…

And tonight it’s palm shopping, as I am finally getting back into using my palm and want some games!



http://www.reisereporter.de/Bildarchiv-Malaysia/Terengganu2/Malaysia-Terengganu-Markt-Kuala-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home