Thursday, May 12, 2005

romantic boat ride

Yet another holiday yesterday, nice to have a day off in the middle of the week. Wednesday, holiday…does this make me a doctor? Am I expected to go and play golf?

Went out on Tuesday night with a few guys from school and their girlfriends for a few drinks. It’s nice to be able to go out with people I work with, as in the past, co-workers always seemed to remain co-workers. Went to a big spacious place made of logs and twigs, sitting precariously on wobbly platforms. On the way there Rin and I hopped on the back on the back of motorbikes, not thinking a thing. However, when we got to the traffic light, Rin’s took off and left mine, a 18 year-old Thai boy pulled a u-turn in rush hour traffic to void the police, as neither of us were wearing helmets. (Against the law here.) I screamed, grabbed him around the waist and screamed at him in Thai. Finally, after lots of apologizing and wai-ing, he got me back in Rin’s presence, and we enjoyed the rest of the evening.

Yesterday we woke up at a leisurely hour, as it was a holiday and Rin’s last day beore he starts work! After sitting around our place in sarongs breathing in fake cold air watching subtitled moves, we decided to get dressed and head to some celebration involving the King, two white cows, throwing rice (but no, not a wedding…) and lots of crazed Thais looking for some good luck (if you collect the rice then you will have good luck…) Well at least this is what I understood from our conversation. So we hopped on a bus, walked down by Khao San in the weltering heat, made our way to the park, only to find a few workers cleaning up after the sacred cow rice tossing party. (And to find out the King didn’t actually go, as he was tired.)

After seeing the disappointment on my face, as we always seem to arrive at places a little too late, Rin grabbed my hand and told me to walk with him. He walked me through the amulet market and bought me a little gold ball to wear on a cord around my wrist to bring me good luck. Then we walked down to the pier and without telling me where we were going got us tickets to take a boat ride up the river for dinner. We rode for about 45 minutes in the sunset, watching as the monks wandered on and off the boat at the different piers. I can’t say where we arrived, but we had a leisurely dinner, went for a alk and slowly made our way back to our place.

I am really enjoying my days here in Bangkok. Something new every day. Some new side of myself I am rediscovering as I finally unwind in this city that seems to be a little too bizarre to swallow at first. But as you low upon it, it grows on you, and I truly think I could be here for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home