Tuesday, September 21, 2004

the view from here

chapitre un: avant le depart


Saturday, January 17th, 2004

“montaigne identified three types of philosophers: those who think they’ve found the truth and quit looking, those who think the truth can’t be found and throw in the towel, and those who hit the road with their eyes and hearts open to the next big discovery. to create new ideas we need to create new languages to express them. We need new translations to get lost in, we need new ways to repair the rift between the conscious and the unconscious. We need to hit the road with our eyes wide open.”

-from HoBo Magazine, article by Brian Hendricks, December ‘03

I will spend the rest of my life as the latter. There is no end to the road, only infinite beginnings.




Thursday, March 4th, 2004

“…a lamp is something you use to guide yourself in the dark. ‘be lamps unto yourselves,’ means be your own master. Be your own lamp. Don’t believe something because your hero, your teacher, or even Buddha himself said it. Look for yourself, with your own eyes. Be a lamp unto yourself…”

-Hardcore Zen

I am not quite sure why I am having this existential trouble right now. I think I am just worried about leaving. There is so much to do, and so little I can motivate myself to do. I am in dire need of a change at the moment. My apartment is closing in on me and the strings in my throat get tighter and tighter every day. Last night I was reading in bed and I could barely breathe. I was wearing a scarf, took it off, and still could barely get enough air in my lungs. I am choking on this world.

49 days to go.





chapitre deux: pendant le voyage

Thursday, April 22nd, 2004

I’M ON MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, It’s finally here, and judging by the map on the screen we are right above the north pole. There is no way it can still be Thursday. It seems to me that when one is traveling that there is no time. It is always x o’clock. If we always traveled east, would be never get old?

At any rate, I left Syracuse this morning and flew to jfk, waited about 5 hours, boarded this plane and I am finally feeling what it is like to be the minority. My plane has very few Americans, mostly Japanese going home.

There is a Japanese toddler who has been kicking my seat for five hours. My children will live in a bubble.

…later…
I’m flying over Siberia right now. I looked out the window to see, and it’s amazing. I gasped. We are flying over the verkhyanskiy mountains and there isn’t a cloud in the sky. I can see down all 365,000 feet, and it’s –51 F outside! It’s so damn amazing. So much diversity on one earth. I am beginning to feel like an alien. Or a child. The mountains look like teeth. I can never forget this image.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home