Thursday, January 26, 2006

daily routine

This morning I woke up a little late. There was a chill in the air pouring through our screen doors, and it seemed a little nicer to dig further under the covers than to go take a cold shower at six in the morning. Ten, fifteen, twenty minutes late. Rin finally pulle the covers off me and with a series of grunts told me to get into the shower.

Freezing water pouring onto my head. 'Note to self-buy water heater.' As I ran upstairs to get dressed I felt the cold wood under my feet. 'Feels like home,' I thought.

I quickly got dressed in my 'Thursday' uniform (black suit with the schools crest). Normally a little warm, but I was thankful for the coziness today.

Walking back downstairs looking for my brush, I noticed Rin was still snoring away, head under the covers, not going anywhere. Revenge time...I pulled the covers off him and turned the fan on full blast. He was up in a second.

Within a few mintues we were out the door, Rin complaining about the cold, myself enjoying the feeling of home. We rode out of the soi, taking our usual route consisting of wizzing through sois and taking about twenty five rights and lefts, without a stopsign in sight. Fun.

When we came around one of the last corners, it occured to me that we were really late. The monks I usually see a few turns later were already receiving alms at a house closer to mine. Without thinking, I said to Rin, 'hurry up, the monks are here already.'

Throughout the rest of my ride, diggin my face into Rin's shirt to avoid bus fumes, hitting him a few times for going to fast or cutting someone off, lifting my butt off the seat when he would go onto the sidewalk, I kept thinking about how different this feeling of home is from the one I grew up with, but it still feels right.

Sleepy Thursday morning thoughts.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home