Sunday, October 31, 2004

letter home

hello all

just a quick note to let you all know that i have made it back safely to 'the land of smiles.' the trip back was not nearly as bad as the trip to america...sleeping pills and having a seat next to me free the whole way really worked in my favor. i almost missed every one of my connections due to silly things like 'typhoon avoidance' and 'broken airplanes' (things both announced mid-flight) but the trip back was painless, and a rather big shock to be back here. mostly temperature wise. it is so damn hot here, and it hits you like a wall of fire in the airport in bangkok.

coming back here was an intreresting experiment, as i felt a sincere amount of 'coming home.' arriving back in my apartment, seeing the same faces, going to school, and riding my motorbike all felt quite comfortable to me. i did happen to notice on my return, that thailand has, officially the worst drivers in the world. people who have driven motorbikes their entire lives should never be given cars.

upon my return i was greeted by many friends going out every night for dinner, which has been nice, but has been catching up with me, as i haven't had a day to relax since.

we had an english camp last week, and it was so ncie to see some of my students. i have missed them so much. and the twister game i bought when i was home has been such a hit with the little critters. i am excited for new ideas to be explored during this second semester.

thursday, the 28th, was my birthday, which, to be honest, was quite the bust. i had to work which was nice, i didn't mind. and the one good thing that happened was that i decided to spend half the day getting my hair done at a posh place here by a flamingly gay man who once upon a time was in love with my boyfriend. (correction: exboyfriend.) highlights, trim, straightened....wonderful. i was ready to party. but the same could not be said for everyone around me. i went out for an anticlimactic dinner with a friend and his girlfriend and then went out to seua saming (a place i frequent often) with well...all of my friends. and tommy came, which made everything pretty miserable. so, i went home, and pretended the whole thing never happened. which, in effect, other than a phone call from my parents at 7am, is true.

on friday after school all of the teachers were treated to an overnight adventure at coral island, a small island only accessable by boat off the south tip of phuket. the resort was beautiful and it was really nice to be able to be a tourist in such an amazing place. photos of this to come soon.

last night, was offcially, my 'rebirthday.' seua saming had a halloween party, classy as hell. they hired me to do their barstaff's makeup, along with my friend. we made the cute thai men into miserable looking dead-for-three-weeks-and-no-one-knows types. the night was fantastic, lots of dancing, including a ladyboy from patong wrapped up as a mummy...the whole thing was really great.

and that's about it. tomorrow marks the beginning of semester 2, which should be good. i am halfway through my contract, but not through my stay in thailand.

anyway...be in touch. and i hope all is well with you

gros bisous

heather

the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to go before i sleep
and miles to go before i sleep...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't it strike you as odd that none of your friends celebrated with your birthday with you? Reading your introspective and self seaking blog it strikes me that you dont know yourself at all but are surrounded by fair weather friends. Clearly another homesick little girl who misses her Papa and tries to find him in the next nearest man. Do you carry a FDA health warning notice?

12:58 PM  
Blogger Bethanie Odd said...

I don't understand people who feel the need to hurt other people. If the person who wrote the last post really believed the things he/she said then he/she is a truly cruel individual knowing that his/her words would make Isobella tender. If anyone has spent more than a holiday away from their home land, they know what it is like to be homesick. And everyone, no matter who you are, seeks out relationships that mimic familial relationships. The thing is, do you learn from the challenges you experience within relationships? Watching this woman move throughout her social life with a smile, I would have to say she does.

Faceless poster, without conviction to leave a name, trying to cause pain in another person is shameful.

5:15 PM  
Blogger isobella said...

miss odd

thank you for your kind words.

i hadn't noticed this, and if it hadn't become an issue i dont think i would have really cared.

the thing is, it would hurt me all the more if it were in fact true. and i know this is a personal attack rather than one on my writing, as i have almost never written about my father here, though there is another place in this vast internet where i have, and where someone might feel thje need to hurt me.

i am not homesick. as i wrote...i was coming BACK home. perhaps some scrutiny before hurtful comments are attempted might be necessary.

and a spellcheck. but who is counting? (me.)

if i was homesick, it would be simple, i would go home. i would challenge my anti-fan to walk a day in my shoes and then tell me you don't feel sad every once in a while.

as for looking for my dad in every man i meet, not true. i am not 'looking' for someone to warm my bed. i am open to possibilities that come my way. but i do not lay in bed at night with the red light on and my legs wide open screaming 'come home to mommy.' jesus.

what happened to goodness in people? what happened to being appreciative of other people? what happened to trying to see the good?

anyway, you sufficiently got the attention you were craving, and if you would like to correspond any more please post your name, if you feel this way you shouldn't be ashamed. if not, i will delete them right away.

thank you for being so....(insert adjective here.)

hib

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home